Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Media Addiction

This weekend I came to the realization of the full extent of my media addiction. Here's the story:
It was like any normal day. I was having a great time learning in my history class (read here: feeling bad about continually nodding off) when I had the overwhelming need to see if my husband had sent me any text messages . But when I reached for my phone.... IT WAS GONE! Surreptitiously, I started going through my bag to try and locate it (I know! Sleeping AND texting AND cleaning out my bag in class! Please don't judge me...it was Friday afternoon). It was then that the truth hit me: I had lost my phone. It was no more beside me to comfort and guide me. A shadow passed over my day, and the world was just that little bit more of a scary place. After class I began to retrace my steps, but it was to no avail. I was alone. Withdrawal symptoms had begun.
The next morning, BYU lost and found called to tell me that they had my phone. REJOICE! During the time that it was missing (... 18 hours at the most) I missed:
1. 8 phone calls from my cousin-friend trying to tell me that she got engaged
2. almost-but-not-quite 8 phonecalls from my mom reminding me that I needed to help set up my sisters nook
3. one pleading phone call from the RS President asking me to help our with some dinners that evening. (Sorry about that Jill)
4. 506,823 texts from my sister trying to organize our exercising plans for the next day
5. love messages from my husband

Being cut off from the world was very difficult for me. I'm still in recovery mode. Pity my addiction....


P.S Sorry for the melodrama and sarcasm. Sometimes I like to try keep the 18th century Gothic novel writer inside me alive.

2 comments:

  1. I am totally the same way. Even if I leave my phone at home when I go to campus I freak out all day. Then I get home and have miss messages or calls and feel so bad for not getting back to people right away! I think we are all definitely super attached to our cell phones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha..I am the same but I get home to my phone and there is like no text messages or phone calls. Bummer. I feel loved. ;)

    ReplyDelete