Thursday, January 12, 2012

Why I hate the Hunger Games

There are several reasons why recommending that my husband Chris read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was a bad idea. One, he spent all yesterday reading instead of doing his homework. Two, I spent all of yesterday reading over his shoulder instead of doing my homework. Three, we're starting to have dreams about people eating our legs. Four, I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to convince Katniss to appreciate Peeta. Five, I'm starting to find deep moral lessons in its words. And six, I watched the movie trailer this morning and cried because it was so powerful. I repeat: the movie TRAILER. The Hunger Games is officially taking over my life, and I've already read it once! I know exactly what happens, and still I can't let it go! I propose that The Hunger Games should be required to carry a label saying
WARNING: This book will consume at least 65% of your thoughts for the next 6 months.
Seriously though, if you want to do anything productive in 2012, don't read this book. If you want to live a real life, and have relationships with real people, and worry about real problems, if you have any pride in living.... just stay away.
That's all I have time for.... I have to go read The Hunger Games now.

5 comments:

  1. Haha, so true! I was intrigued by the title of the post because I have yet to hear any negative feedback in regards to The Hunger Games, so I was wondering what someone could HATE about it! Yeah, I got into the books over Christmas break and similarly became obsessed with it, and with watching the trailer over and over! It's gonna be a sweet movie! I wonder how they'll handle the violence, though, with a PG-13 rating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to say...I am one who joined the masses! I love this book,so your title about why you hate the hunger games intrigued me. I was a little unsure at first whether or not I would like the book because I thought the entire premise was a bunch of teenagers killing each other, but it is so much more. I love that there is great media like this out there that causes you to think so much. Like you I am officially a fan who is waiting for the movie! I am even signed up for the fan club which alerts me when tickets go on sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so worried when I saw the title of your post because I have a sister who hates the Hunger Games and finds nothing of substance in those books which I think is completely crazy. But I am so glad you like them! And I agree, they are completely time consuming. I read started reading the first one on a Sunday night and kept on reading until it was done and then spent the next day trying to get the second one from my sister. I am so excited for the movie! I think they have a great cast and I even like Lenny Kravitz as Cinna after seeing the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, you totally got sucked in! I read almost the entire thing on a flight from SLC to England! It definitely helped pass the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! You seriously crack me up! I love this post! I seriously agree with you though. It does take over everything!

    ReplyDelete