Thursday, March 1, 2012

Content or Medium?

I watched TV for 4 hours on Tuesday! 4 whole hours of my life! I turned on the TV to watch the Republican Presidential Primary in Michigan, and I was kind of sucked in. Not only was it incredibly close as the votes came in, but there were plenty of speeches and panels to watch. So... here's where I come to the question. When we talked about books, we talked about how the content is more important than the medium (i.e. we shouldn't be okay with inappropriate books just because they are books). For me, I felt that the content of the Primary was valuable; I was getting involved in the elections (personally I feel like that is part of my civic duty) and learning about some of the most important issues. So is the fact that I was watching TV for that long bad? Would it have been different if I had been reading about the elections? Or is this just a question of excesses?

2 comments:

  1. I think being informed is incredibly valuable and worthwhile, so I applaud you! Plus, I like your staying power: I can only watch about an hour of this type of coverage befor I go sort of brain dead.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a matter of good, better best. I think the fact that you were using this to fulfill you part as a member of civic duty, I think you are very wise! I should spend more time on these things. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete